Priorities within our Economic Development and Jobs Initiative include support for affordable and sustainable economic development and workforce development strategies to make our communities more competitive.
Our immediate focus is to address the growing skills gap between young and displaced workers and the available jobs in the economy, working to increase middle skills career readiness, and removing barriers to employment.
- The Alliance supports the development of a robust, inclusive and appropriately educated workforce.
- Public policy priorities include efforts to better align workforce training programs with industry demands at the state and federal level.
- We also encourage our participating leaders to build active partnerships with community colleges, vocational schools, and career centers, as well as to offer internships and mentoring programs.
Building a Sustainable Economy
For a sustainable economy to flourish a comprehensive framework of public policy supports are needed, along with an increased focus on the innovative and entrepreneurial companies that are driving job creation in the market, including start-ups, emerging growth companies, and advanced manufacturing.
The Alliance is currently pursuing multiple state and federal policy priorities, including
- Support state-level climate and clean energy plans, including the full implementation of the 2008 Green Communities Act,
- The extension of clean energy development tax credits and incentives,
- Reform of the Small Business Administration and other federal agencies to allow it better cultivate partnerships between government and small businesses/entrepreneurs,
- The removal of unnecessary barriers to lending.