The current distrust of government and the political process represents a fundamental challenge to America. The Alliance views this challenge from three inter-related perspectives:
Alliance leaders are committed to making the electoral process more open, accessible, and transparent in order to increase public participation and confidence. Among the strategies currently under review are:
- Encouraging open primaries, increased voter registration, and more accountable redistricting practices,
- Decreasing the influence of Super PACs on elections through stricter regulations on timely reporting and other responsible efforts to mitigate the impact of Citizens United v. FEC,
- Support efforts by candidates to participate in bi-partisan initiatives to discourage and curtail the influence of Super PACs (e.g. the Warren-Brown initiative in Massachusetts).
- Within our companies, we encourage employees to participate on election and primary days.
The Alliance is working on a variety of mechanisms to improve the quality and accountability of government decision-making, from legislative “rules” reform (election of leadership, filibusters, transparency) to the influence of lobbying on decision-making and the budgeting process.
While in principle we support the concept of balancing budgets through revenue and expenditure reforms, our first obligation is to make sure government is making decisions in the most responsible and transparent manner.
The inability of government to effectively and efficiently deliver services is an area of major concern and often a key driver of public dissatisfaction with governments at all levels. Key concerns include: prudent management of money; human resources and performance management; transparent and effective capital planning and project monitoring; quality of internal and external communication; data management; and duplication and overlap between government programs and agencies.
We believe private sector expertise can contribute in all these areas, and Alliance leaders regularly engage with government agencies seeking to improve performance through better management systems and approaches. Alliance leaders also support public policy reforms that:
- Increase full-cost accounting and transparency at the state level,
- Create incentive-based approaches for cost-saving reforms, and
- Introduce performance-based management systems in government.